Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Hunting Island SP SC 2015

March 28 - April 2 2015 We camped at Hunting Island SP in SC.  

Its a beautiful campground away from civilization.   They have a large camp store with just about everything you might have forgot.   There are seafood stores near by.  Not far from Hilton Head if you want to shop or go to a movie.  The mosquitoes aren't that bad, but the "no-see-ums" did a number on me for rolling my sleeves up on night one without any spray.   Bring bug spray that will work on no-see-ums.....  The nearest grocery store is 16 miles away in Beaufort.  


The light house is a must see.. Its hard to believe that this was considered "portable" back in the 1800's... There is a fee, I think $5 a person.... worth it in my opinion because the money I'm sure goes to the up keep and preservation of the lighthouse and the grounds.  

We had site 17, full shade all day and plenty of room to spread out... I was happy with it.

Below is at "The Marsh Walk".... Would be a cool place to watch the sun set or star gaze.

You can see the campground in the tree line, I can see how that might be a problem being so close to the water during bad weather so just make sure its not hurricane season.... LOL  I spoke with a couple of people who had been coming there for years on a annual basis, they all said that the shoreline used to be a lot further out from the campground.  I didn't see any dunes either.     


From our site... if you see that bath house to the right of the camper... that is where the beach begins.  There were alot of bath houses, but my complaint is out of the 3 closest to our site, I could only find one that you'd be sure to get hot water.  They are pretty dated... I'd give them a C- grade.



The beach is hard packed so its a great place to ride bikes.... be careful if your gone too long the tide will come in and you'll have to find an inland way back to the campground.  (I can tell you from experience)

The dead forest.... Just another sign of where the shoreline used to be further out... They are beautiful in their own way... I'm glad they are leaving them, I'm not sure if its to protect from erosion or not, but they are fun to climb on and not something you get to see on other beaches.

This is us... finding a new route back after the tide came in and cut off our beach access

First time trying out the tomato taco.... Its a big hit.   We had a generic hammock that didn't last one trip without tearing up.... this time I bit the bullet and got an ENO double nest... I think this one is going to last (daughter and son approved)



Site 17 is hammock friendly

Below is on the board walk at the nature center, we didn't bring any gear, but its a popular place to fish.

Below.... towards the end of the "Marsh Walk"

 The Twins.... 


A birds eye view looking down at my son next to the tree line. 
A ton of steps to climb, my daughter looking up at me.






No comments:

Post a Comment