Monday, June 27, 2016

Florence Marina SP, GA - 2016

We visited Florence Marina State Park - GA as a pit stop on our way back from Florida.   


I was kind of worried as they do no allow you to reserve specific sites and we'd be arriving on a Saturday evening.   There were alot of campers there and luckily the people in site 9 had just left before we got there.  I have to say it is one of the nicest spots.   

Below is the bath house... its very clean, air conditioned, and they have washers and dryers.   My son called it "high class".... :) 

We took a day trip over to Providence Canyon to do a little hiking...   Its just up the road about 15 minutes or so.

 I have read on the internet that it is an easier trek if you start the hike in the opposite direction of everyone else.  Most people just go straight down from the visitors center and come back up the same way they came.  We're always looking for adventure so we took the path less traveled... :)
 We found this pavillion to take short lunch break and fill up with water...

 I think the canyons were created by farm erosion, that seems amazing to me because these things are pretty deep and I didn't see much farming going on...


 The first part of the hike down we found lots of abandoned cars, leaving me scratching my head.... how did they get down here????   I didn't see any roads on the way down, and who just abadon's their car in the woods..... " unless it's got a dead body in the trunk "

 You know, I could probably fix that...... Make some rat rods out of them ... :)
 At the bottom of the trail you find yourself in a riverbed, looking for signs as to which way to go...  I always send the kids out on point "that way at least I don't get lost"...


 This is one of the 4 different canyons.... I must say you wouldn't expect to find this in the middle of GA.
 Who needs a safety fence anyway..???
 They have a pretty nice museum and gift shop, The walking sticks are kind of expensive, we brought our own...
 There also is a very old church and cemetery in the park...

 Decided to take the bikes out to tour the campground....

 We found our "Happy Place"....
 Spanish Moss.... Everywhere

 Reading by the campfire..... It just don't get any better.... tonight's story... Percy Jackson

As you can see we had the campground all to ourselves after Sunday when the local's when back to work...  It was well worth the stop and we had a great time.   Florence Marina SP is defiantly on our list of places to come back to... I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. I REALLY ENJOY THE PICS THANKS FOR sharing http://www.campwithoutlimits.com

    ReplyDelete